** L’Oreal have released a range of candy-coloured spray-on temporary wash-out hair dyes that requires no bleaching, no dying and no damage to (allegedly) get your hair looking amazing. It lasts for one day (or until you next wet your hair) so it’s not a permanent dye – making it perfect for parties, events or even just testing out a new colour – but does it work? **
You know I was all over this one.
Pin that image for me, kids.
Today we’re going to be doing a review post on something very rare for this blog; something almost unheard of. A beauty product.
I know you’re shocked, but that was really an overreaction, don’t you think?
If you’ve followed me for a while . . . first of all, hey; I appreciate you, you fried dumpling. Secondly, you will know how obsessed I am with dying my hair. Because I’m a mature-responsible-adulting-person, I haven’t been ridiculous about it this year-
Admittedly, that’s more because my hair went green and I had to cut it from waist length to above my shoulders and not due to my adultyness, but that’s neither here nor there.
However, when I saw these spray-on hair colours advertised, I felt that twinge. I felt that familiar “but Mia . . . your hair could be pink” whisper in my soul. I started seeing rainbows and flowers and thinking “my hair could put you all to shame”. And then – and then – I made the fatal mistake. I handed the undertaker the nail to slam into my proverbial coffin.
I subscribed to a Youtuber. Who almost constantly colours her hair. And it always looks amazing.
Well, RIP my year of healthy hair.
Enter . . . L’Oreal Colorista Spray! Okay what does this product claim to do?
L’Oreal Colorista Spray Features
These are what L’Oreal claims the spray does:
- Colorista Spray 1-Day Colour in Pastel Pink works immediately as a temporary hair colour spray for instant, ultra-vibrant colour.
- L’Oréal Paris Colorista spray-on pigments instantly colour no matter how dark or light your hair, so you can wear hair colour without the commitment.
- The Colorista Spray 1-Day Colour range are direct dyes in an ultra-light micro powder form that spray on, stay on all day, and last until washed out.
- At the end of the day, wash out with a L’Oréal Paris cleansing shampoo to ensure hair is fully rinsed.
- Colorista Spray is available in 7 different shades convenient for all hair colours and types. – L’Oreal’s Site
Okay, so I actually bought three different shades to test out because . . . pretty colours. I’m going to do one at a time because, as all hair dye enthusiasts know, dyes tend to change quality from shade to shade. It’s incredibly annoying. You find a brand you love, you think “wow, we’re going to be together forever”, you go a couple of shades lighter or darker and wham bang, no thank you ma’am.
Today we’re testing out the L’Oreal Colorista Pastel Pink colour. Does it live up to these wild claims? Let’s take a little look!
L’Oreal Colorista Pastel Pink Before And Before
Okay, so my hair at the moment is a light brown/golden/ginger colour. Now, I didn’t read the benefits before trying this out so I focused more on the bottom of my hair and on the lighter parts. On the next colour test, I’ll try out some of the darker parts so we can compare.
You know how everybody has that friend that is just not photographable? (Is that a word? It feels like it’s not a word.)
That friend is me.
I’m terrible at taking selfies, so you’re really going to have to excuse my attempts. And, yes, that is a hand over the lense. I don’t know how, but even being able to see the screen I still managed to fuck up.
I’m a true role model.
My point is – the hair. The colour. You can see it, right?
After using one can of Colorista, this is what that turned into . . .
I mean, I did warn you that I’m incredibly weak at the selfie game . . .
This is the most awkward blog post in the history of blog posts. The cringe is so real.
Anyways, I absolutely loved the colour payoff. The pink blended in really nicely with my natural colour and was actually visible.
- Awesome result!
- Perfect for a one-day or night occasion. I will most definitely be buying this again for festivals or night-outs.
- Fun way to change your look!
- It doesn’t damage your hair. Which in itself is a god-sent gift.
- Not messy. Whenever you usually dye your hair, you have to wrap your entire life up in towels to stop your house looking like a massacre site. I didn’t even need a towel. (Although, to be safe, I’d still recommend you use one.)
- Doesn’t come off on clothes or hands!
- Good colour payoff regardless of original colour. Although I didn’t test this on the darkest parts of my hair, the colour did a good job of covering my hair in the sections that were darker.
The only issue I have with this product is the amount you get vs. the amount you need. Although this was a good colour payoff, I have thick curly hair and using an entire can I managed to cover maybe a third fully. Probably a little less. I feel like if you have darker hair you may need to use more product to get as much pigmentation – which is another problem with such a small amount of product.
This isn’t necessarily a big deal, but at £6 a can needing 2 or 3 cans for one night could set you back if you’re on a budget. If you’re just looking to spray the ends of your hair for a nice tint or a quick dip-dye, however (or if you don’t have inhumanly massive hair…) then this probably isn’t a problem – but don’t expect this to a multiple-use product.
Let it be said though, this is a pastel colour – ie really, really fucking light – so the darker colours may be better in terms of coverage and amount of product you need.
All in all . . .
To summarise, I actually really liked this product. I was 110% not expecting for the colour payoff to be so good (hence the buying of multiple shades) due to all the really conflicting reviews that I’ve seen, but I was pleasantly surprised. I’ll definitely be buying a couple more cans of this gorgeous colour to spice up my hair.
Okay, kids, that’s us done. Did you like the colour? Have you used this product – and would you? Let me know your thoughts down below!
All the love,